Thursday, August 13, 2015

Not Knowing When to Quit

Just a little bit ago I was ran into a great article written by Barbara Corcoran of the television show Shark Tank. She's a smart, driven person who knows a lot about business. Like it or not, writing is a business activity, even if it's more creative than accounting (depending which company we're talking about).

In the article, she talks about being tough and not giving up, even in the face of extreme adversity. In fact, Corcoran says that many entrepreneurs consider rejection to be a sort of "lucky charm." It's a different sort of mentality, one of dogged determination.

During the past three years, I've been pretty stagnant when it comes to writing books. This has been mostly from some personal adversities I've been passing through, which fortunately are now behind me. Looking at where I am right now and where I planned on being at this point, three years ago, there's a big chasm. I could be discouraged by the disparity between my goals and reality, but instead I'm choosing to let that fuel my efforts to make up the difference.

Nobody else is going to get out there and promote my first Gracie the Ghost Eater book. I admit I haven't done a tenth of what I planned marketing-wise when I launched the book, thanks to the personal issues that have consumed so much of my "free" time. Now that I've been able to get those issues behind me, I'm making plans, big plans, to get the word out about the book. It's a great story, one that my family loves and others have sent me messages of thanks for writing it, but I haven't done nearly enough to capture the kind of attention it deserves. That changes now.

One of the big things I'm doing to promote the book is to write the sequel, something I planned on doing three years ago. I've been working on the rough draft, while at the same time creating plans to drum up awareness of the first book.

This is a promo image I created to tease the second book:


Since this is my blog about writing, and marketing your work is a part of the creative process, I'll be updating on here what I've been doing and how it's worked out. Maybe other writers can learn from my mistakes and victories, because I plan on doing some pretty gutsy things. I believe in this book, I believe in the series (the second book is going to be amazing) and I think if I get the word out to enough people, something big is going to happen.

I don't know when to quit, even in the face of rejection, and that's what it takes to find success in this business.

If you want to read that article by Corcoran, click here.


4 comments:

  1. Every big break I've had in my writing career so far has come immediately after a devastating rejection. So, looking back over the last few months, I figure something good must be on the horizon. (Unless I wasn't devastated enough by those recent rejections and need another one before I earn some good news ...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wait, rejections? I must've missed something, which is completely possible right now. I think rejection is part of the business, because it makes you stronger. After all, look at those people who got a huge publishing contract after submitting to only 5 or 6 publishers, but then fizzle out after they finish writing that series.

      Delete
    2. You didn't miss anything. I just don't write about the rejections.

      I figure, it's not smart to advertise them. An editor considering my work will probably look up my blog and public social network accounts -- and won't be encouraged to read who's already rejected what they're looking at. But yes, I've had a number of disappointments recently.

      Delete
    3. Yes, airing your dirty laundry isn't a great tactic, especially when you're selling yourself as a brand. Writing is a pathway wrought with rejections -- it's just par for the course.

      Delete